Automatically Refreshing Dashboards

Written by ShamrockCRM on December 19, 2008 – 9:18 pm

If your Salesforce.com Users are like most Users, they are always calling you asking why their Dashboards are incorrect.  Well, it’s because they forgot to refresh the Dashboard or they do not even know how to refresh the Dashboard.

Well, I found a unique little way around this.  I created a small piece of Javascript that can either be placed on everyone’s home page OR on the individual dashboards themselves.  Every time the User visits the page, the code will basically CLICK THE REFRESH BUTTON FOR THEM!  Great, right?

It is the simple things that make me the most happy.  This little script keeps all visited Dashboards up to date all the time automatically.  Let me know if you are interested in this script at all.

salesforce.com dashboards

salesforce.com reports

UPDATE: 8/15/2011 – Tons of requests for this script.  http://www.shamrockcrm.com/salesforce/free-salesforcecom-s-control-to-dynamically-auto-refresh-dashboards/

23 Responses to “Automatically Refreshing Dashboards”

1. By Joe Ferraro on Dec 20, 2008 | Reply

what about scheduling a dashboard refresh via the interface?

2. By Tanner - Shamrock CRM on Dec 20, 2008 | Reply

Yeah, the scheduled dashboard refreshing and emailing is a great feature. My little script is mainly for when you want to have the Dashboards refreshed constantly as opposed to once a week. It also works best when there are a ton of dashboards used by a company and you don’t want the maintenance nightmare of having to schedule every single one of them. For this, you put one script up once and you are done.

Thanks for the comment!

3. By Dave Weinreich on Dec 26, 2008 | Reply

We have 27 dashboards, but seem to be able to refresh only 24 (one per hour) using standard SFDC functionality. I would like to try the code. Can we get the following functionality as user logon:
    * Initiate an update of the dashboard.
    * Transfer from the home page to the dashboard.

4. By David Gildar on Dec 28, 2008 | Reply

I like your idea. Could you please send me a copy of your Javascript for automatically refreshing Dashboards?

5. By Matt Bertuzzi on Feb 5, 2009 | Reply

We are on Prof Ed. If it would work, can you share the script with me?

Btw – you came up 4th on my Google search for “automatically refreshing dashboards salesforce”. Nice!

6. By Stephen Theriault on Mar 5, 2009 | Reply

That is a great piece of script that you have put together, and I think your right, its all about the little things.

I would def. be interested in using it if you are up for sharing.

Thanks for the post,
    ST

7. By Wendi Russiano on Jul 8, 2009 | Reply

Hello Tanner,
    This is great, I would love to have the Javascript for automatically refreshing dashboards? When you provide that to me can you please explain where on the dashboard I put it?
    Thanks so much! I received your name from miss v, and I have a small project that I would like to discuss with you. I will be in touch shortly.
    Thanks,
    Wendi

8. By Dan Clegg on Sep 22, 2009 | Reply

Most definitely interested in the code. Please send. Thanks!

9. By Rita on Feb 10, 2010 | Reply

Hi,
    Please send me the script to automatically refresh dashboards and where to place it.
    Thanks in advance!
    Rita

10. By Charlie on Mar 31, 2010 | Reply

Hi,

Awesome work, very interested in obtaining the script! We’re using the Professional addition if that information helps.

Thanks!!
    Charlie

11. By Michael Olson on Apr 13, 2010 | Reply

Tanner

I tried this solution for the Home page and it worked perfectly. If you don;t mind I would be curious what I would have to do to envoke this for all of the other DBs.

Thanks
    Michael

12. By Stefan on Nov 2, 2010 | Reply

Could you send me your script.

Does this script refresh the dashboard on open?

13. By Mahesh on Dec 31, 2010 | Reply

please send me the code for automatically refreshing dashboards
    thanks

14. By Wendi Russiano on Feb 4, 2011 | Reply

Hi Tanner,

I tried and loved the solution for the Home page dashboard refresh and of course it worked perfectly. If you don’t mind I would be curious what I would have to do this for all of the other dashboards.

Thanks,

Wendi

15. By Len on Apr 12, 2011 | Reply

please send me the code for automatically refreshing dashboards
    thanks

16. By Luther Hargrove on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

Hey I would love the script to implement in salesforce. Can you please provide that to me?

Thanks,

Luther

17. By Asaf on Apr 27, 2011 | Reply

Hi Tanner
    please send me the code for automatically refreshing dashboards
    thanks
    Asaf

18. By Phillip Hughes on May 23, 2011 | Reply

Did the javascript ever get posted ?

19. By Isaias on Jun 17, 2011 | Reply

Hi –

Very interesting, I’ve been looking for sample code. Please share your script.

Thanks,
    Isaias

20. By SoCalSalesforceGuy on Aug 9, 2011 | Reply

I too would be very interested in getting a copy of the script. Anything to reduce the number of “why isn’t this thing working” calls from my clients.

21. By Maria on Aug 10, 2011 | Reply

I’d be interested in the script as well. Thanks!

22. By ShamrockCRM on Aug 15, 2011 | Reply

I posted the link to the other posts that gave the code.

23. By nidhi on Apr 15, 2013 | Reply

hello ,

This is really a nice work of yours auto refreshing of dashboards with java script

I need the same …..

I was just wondering how to auto refresh the dashboard every hour in a day ….

If you can share your code it will be a great help

You must be logged in to post a comment.