I passed “Step 2” for the Technical Architect certification. Step 1 was to take a self assessment to ensure that I had enough experience to go through this process. Step 2 was a proctored exam with 60 questions in 120 minutes. This test really put a lot of emphasis on security, identity management and single sign-on, integrations, and large data volumes. As usual, the test was somewhat tricky, due to the “multi-answer, multi-choice” questions (e.g. 2 answers are correct), but overall it was pretty straight-forward and I finished it with a lot of time left over.
Step 3 should get interesting:
Review Board Presentation
- Presentation and discussion of the architecture solution for a hypothetical scenario and a customer case study
- 4 hours allotted to complete the exam
- No hard-copy or online materials may be referenced during the exam
The Salesforce.com Certified Technical Architect Review Board Presentation: The third and final step to earning the credential is to complete an in-person or video-enabled, proctored presentation and interview with a panel of judges, offered at scheduled times throughout the year. The review board presentation is comprised of:
- Hypothetical Scenario Presentation and Discussion—A hypothetical scenario and instructions will be provided to the candidate upon arrival to the review board meeting. The candidate will be given an hour to read, evaluate, and document a high-level architectural solution for the hypothetical scenario.
- Customer Case Study Presentation and Discussion—Detailed instructions for developing and presenting the customer case study for the review board will be provided to the candidate. The candidate will have a fixed amount of time to complete the customer case study presentation in advance of the scheduled review board presentation time. The case study presentation is completed at the candidate’s own pace and does not require working at a proctored site. However, the candidate will be required to submit the case study five business days prior to the scheduled review board session.
The case study presentation, in combination with the scenario discussion, will be evaluated and scored by the review board judges as the final step of the Salesforce.com Certified Technical Architect certification program.